Thursday, March 23, 2006

"you are the best... you are the best... you are the best!!" It works.

I am a woman in a state of pure bliss. These days I get to eat what I want, made at home, made by loving hands. I don't have a new cook. The title has been conferred upon the hubby.

I have to digress to explain this. This is the time of the year that hubby gets nostalgic. Not for people or place. But for food. For his favourite vegetable which of course we do not find in this city. Very tender baby drumsticks. We find only the thick giant sized fully matured ones here.

It all started when we got a parcel of this craved for vegetable sent from home. Severe long distance consultations followed and the cooking began. I got home from office and snacked heavily. Wasn't sure about dinner timings. I hogged my solo TV time and tuned into melodramatic soaps while gorging on mom's coconut sweets sent the week before. Yes, we have been that lucky!

So apart from "Hey I need to grind these! How do you run this thing?" and "Are you sure these yellow weirdies are called mustard seeds?" I was left undisturbed. Finally, my multi talented man managed to cook the wretched vegetable in the style his childhood was used to. In tomato and mustard paste. Under ordinary circumstances, I wouldn't touch it, but here I was lapping it up with praises in every mouthful.

And it finally paid off.

"You like it?" Expectantly.

"Amazing! Never tasted anything this good before!! Slurp!!!"

"Do you think, I really cook well?" A little excited.

"Of course, sweetheart! I have realised you are an amazing cook!"

"Seriously?" Just a question, hardly needs affirmation anymore.

"And it's not just these drumbloodysticks. My guess is that you will now make magic with all kinds of cooking!!"

"You are joking." I detected a pleased smile on his face.

"I swear, I am not."

"Okay, tell me what you want to eat. Anything. Just name it. Hey, from now no, I will make you different things, exotic dishes, your favourites, everyday!!"

"Wow! You are so good with everything you do! I am almost jealous of you!!"

"Yesyes." Confident air of finality. The world-is-mine-attitude.

And my blissful dinners began. These days, as I leave office, an SMS precedes me home, "Tonight you may make me mutton, dry and spicy."

20 Comments:

Blogger hope and love said...

hmm.. the greatest basic pleasure in life..!
:))

2:31 pm  
Blogger Chakra said...

this is a typical trap that men fall into. i learnt this the hard way though.. :((

3:13 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

and somehow (thankfully) men often manage to get out of the trap

;-)

4:19 pm  
Blogger junat said...

ha ha some people enjoy cooking !!!!!!!

6:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha...a Very clever move!!

5:06 pm  
Blogger shub said...

good lord i should remember this!

8:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, how about posting that recipe here ? Sounds delicious :)

3:29 am  
Blogger Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

u rock girlie!!!
n with such a simple trick too :))

njoy njoy while it lasts.

2:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope ur hubby doent read this post...lol

5:50 pm  
Blogger Stone said...

:-O :-O ...now I know why wifey was praising paneer bhujia i made other night ....
Thanks for opening my eyes!

12:43 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

:) Enjoy it whilst it lasts, he might wake up to your tricks soon :D

3:20 am  
Blogger Arunima said...

I am going to the Himalayas to do tapashya for a husband like yours but who would never realise the trap :-)

enjoy and kudos to your hubby.

5:10 pm  
Blogger Pallavi said...

hahahah good for you babe...

10:58 pm  
Blogger Anil.kumar03@gmail.com said...

that was such a fabulous post.

and u did turn the table very beautifully. now enjoy all this while the passion lasts.

i hope doesnt get confused between sugar and salt :))

-ATG

1:51 pm  
Blogger Abhishek said...

dont u love cooking???
can u post a recipe of cold coffee in ur next pos?
i just love it.

5:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha...
some guys fall for it :)

4:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im glad ur hubby fell for it!!!...u must be making an aweful lot of women jealous!!
jo

1:55 pm  
Blogger sanguine said...

oye, am back babes .

ya i know this trick . it always works . men are so adorably vain at times ..

5:25 pm  
Blogger Sachin said...

Hey Anumita, long time no post!!! Looks like you're very busy with your job....

Anyway, this is to let you know that you've been tagged (check my latest post for details).

Hope you post soon. Take care.

12:57 pm  
Blogger Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

Anumita, I have just 'discovered' your blog today and have immediately turned into your greatest fan. I think you are the best so far...

7:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home