Friday, March 25, 2005

theatrically speaking

Now that I think of it, it's been ages since I got into a theatre to watch a movie. The last was... Black. Since a long time now, movie watching has been limited to the DVD, running for the big sofa, before hubby takes it, and stuffing myself mindlessly with junk food. Again calling out for refills, with sweet endearments to sucker hubby, who smiles or grumbles as is his mood and still gets it.

And there was a time, I was one of the first-day-first-show types. I knew all the "blackers" (touts who illegally sell the same tickets at exorbitant rates) at all the theatres in town. The moment they saw me, they would smile and come over with tickets. At times, with various friends, I have watched 4 shows back to back in a day. In the night, we would totter back, groggy eyed, grinning to ourselves.

After I met the hubby, there was hardly a movie I went for without him. It wasn't planned that way, but he conveniently came along every time. I was glad to have found someone who shared my love for eating in the theatre and ran to buy loads of food to munch on. While I sat in anticipation. I don't like to move from my seat even during intermission, unless it's to go to the loo.

I guess, this state of absence from the theatres now, could be attributed to cruel hubby thinking it's a total waste of money and time, taking me. Actually the routine was turning like this. We rush in, usually during or after the national anthem is over. Stumble and knock on sharp seat edges... I make my demands for pop corn and other delectable items. If they get over before intermission I take a quick nap till lights come on and people look around. After more food and drinks comsumed, I snooze off again. Hubby keeps poking me at intervals and keeps threatening "This is the last time. I am never getting you again!"

I open my eyes. "Yeah...? Is it over? What happened?" and go back to sleep again. I was actually getting addicted to sleeping in theatres. It's a wonderful feeling especially during long Hindi movies. The heavy stomach induced blissful state of lightheaded sleepiness in the dark. The better the theatres are getting, the higger the tickets cost, the better the food available, the more comfortable seats are, the more easily I doze off. Who can blame me? Could never take too much of a good thing.

Due to which I innocently tell everyone about not watching certain movies when asked by people and look at hubby suspiciously when he claims to have seen and enjoyed them. I hope he's not watching films with attentive and repulsed-by-food nymphets, and claiming to have gone with me where I slept and forgot all about it. Must instill in him the fear of the Divine, if nothing else. "God is watching you."

I think it's time to go for a theatre movie before I get scared of dark halls and big screens. Above all, I am really missing the food. Heard they have introduced whole meals too.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL....

You can surely order better food home and watch movies on DVD ;)

2:55 am  
Blogger Colors said...

:) Its me..the other Colors :)

Ur posts always makes me smile. Was imagining you (ok..cant imagine u since i dont know u...but imagined someone) with hubby...gorging the snacks and taking naps ..while the poor hubby is wondering if he married a kumbhakarna :) LOL No offence, just kidding.

But, tell me...where do they play the national anthem in theatres? Have heard abt this before too...but never came across such a theatre!

I still love watching movies in the theatre. Specially the good ones. And wat better way to watch an amazingly idiotic/boring movie than sitting in the front row with your eyes scanning the entire screen from left to right...just to make out whose face u r looking at?!

3:05 am  
Blogger ShaanCho said...

Scribble down the names of movies for all the shows when you are entering the theatre and are wide awake. Just as a contingency measure in case hubby claims that you were so deep asleep that he had to sit through multiple movies on subsequent shows!!

12:35 pm  
Blogger Alpha said...

hehe.... My cousin had this irritating habit too. So one day during college times I just hooked up with a guy (rather attentive)and left her in the theatre asleep. Just a forewarning..

9:05 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

colours: Yes, I can do all that and risk forgetting what theatres in bombay look like!

colors: I can sleep everywhere else but the most I can sleep on my own bed is about 5-6 hours. The national is played in theatres in Bombay before the beginning of a movie. It feels great as everybody rises and stands respectfully.
And you can't believe the amount of movies I have seen sitting in the front row. I fear I have turned cross eyed since then!

santanu: I don't mind sitting through any number of movies and any number of shows, as long as I get my supply of food.

alpha: Don't give the man wicked ideas! You forgot the fear of God I am planning to instill in him.

10:27 am  
Blogger Pallavi said...

hahah !!! sounds familiar !! LOLOL

1:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home