Thursday, February 24, 2005

Fishy tales

To say my husband loved fishing, as a kid, is an understatement.

How else would you explain his hooking the same fish again and again? Yes, the same fish!

The story goes... as a kid, hubby often grabbed his home-made rod and ran off to fish in the pond a little away, with some bigger boys. And he did manage to catch a few unfortunate fish.

And soon it would be dark and time to get home before the dad got furious and snarled with flaring nostrils.

Once home, the caught fish would be emptied in a little puddle in the backyard. And my sadist of a hubby would get down to the business of camouflaging the menacing hook with delicious dough and hanging it next to the unsuspecting fish. Again! Ouch!

And fish, true to their memories lasting the blink of an eye, get lured by the dough bait, offered by a vicious little boy. Again and again.

The love for fishing still lives. But the skill is gone, I believe. How else would you explain, armed with a state-of-the-art handsome rod and reel, he doesn't catch even the hint of a fish? (If you don't consider the ones that just about get away!)

Or maybe the fish have finally got wiser to the ways of a wicked wicked boy a long time back.

18 Comments:

Blogger Pallavi said...

wicked babe.. how I love miku stories... LOLOL

7:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool and wicked lol!


Floral Angel
angelfloralscent.blogdrive.com

11:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear people talk about fishing as if they are living to fish.Fishing is the main hobby for lots of big politicians here. Now I am going to go around to get the translation for that song. I should have stayed in Lucknow and Kanpur longer! Rahul

12:42 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

Pallavi: I know, I know! His has always been a colourful life!

Angel: I agree. Wicked to the core!

Rahul: Let me try to roughly translate what little Krinshang sings... "if i tell you, i am in love with you, what will you say?"

1:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks,Anumita, for the translation. Hmmmm! Krinshang knows what he wants :) May be future Pablo Neruda of India? Rahul

12:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never fished. Curious about it, but dunno if I have the nerve to actually attempt to hurt a creature... though I'm a complete carnivore.

2:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry, that comment was by me, Anita.

2:48 pm  
Blogger Chakra said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:42 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

Anita: As a kid, even I went fishing a lot. But now I guess I will feel miserable hooking one! And yes, I am a carnivore too! What double standards, see!

Chakra sampath: I don't know who deleted your comment and why. But I have the message in my mailbox and you are right, fishing needs lots of patience.

11:28 am  
Blogger Annie Zaidi said...

ah... there you are.

3:29 pm  
Blogger GratisGab said...

You have a refreshing style of writing...

8:18 pm  
Blogger DilettanteMoi said...

I just started enjoying it and it is over.. please write bigger tales.. fishy or otherwise!! [though I should admit this is the first one I have read of yours..]

10:27 pm  
Blogger Ad astra per aspera said...

Now that's one cute fishy tale :D...I guess there's still a lil boy in every man. That would explain why the eyes light up at the very mention of the word 'fishing'.

8:01 pm  
Blogger Chakra said...

anumita... i think i accidentally clicked that "bin" image, which deleted my comment. :)

3:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol..nice fishy tale..i remm collectin tadpoles...when i was young..n my cuz had just one big fish in his pond :)

jo

1:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wot men, no update for ages?

Anita, disappointed

11:16 am  
Blogger Rocky said...

Grrrrrrr! how can u tell stories of my buddy. I am planning a whole series on him

5:32 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

Annie: Yes. Here I am.

Gratisgab: Thank you.

funnycide: A bigger tale for you is up.

ad astra per aspera: in this case, the little boy is more obvious, than the man!

Chakra sampath: no probs:)

jo: even we collected tadpoles mistaking them for fish!

anita: updated. sent you a mail. check.

rocky: don't worry, there's more than enough for both of us to write about!

6:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home