Friday, January 14, 2005

Looking forward to...

I am looking forward to my holiday. From someone who travelled all 12 months in a year as a child to a few odd trips today (that too, if I am lucky), I have definitely NOT come a long way.

In spite of telling ourselves we need to take off every 3 months to retain our sanity, it has not really worked that way. So besides having a damn good reason to attribute the senile and quirky behaviour to, we have not gathered too many holiday stories! More work, yes. More money, no. The ratio is never proportionate.

I shouldn't complain. I had taken off for 3 weeks a couple of months back. But it was without the hubby. For the first time in our married lives, we were whispering 'good night' over the phone. It wasn't fun.

Now, what makes it special is having the hubby alongside. One of those rare long holidays. Together. Somehow, the same place visited with different people can evoke different feelings. Whenever I went anywhere, I always promised myself to come back. In time. With the man in my life. And today there is a whole lot piled up to do together, to see together, to experience together.

They come to me in flashes. A little surrealistic. Too quick but clear. And I know we have to be there. Some time.

Watching the full orange moon rise through the trees in the tea gardens and wishing time stood still.

On a moonlit night, sitting on the little stair in the house where I grew up. A million stars all around and fireflies dancing. It's a magical feeling.

Talking a walk by the pond and watching the silvery moonlight reflected in the watch as little silver fish play around.

Driving back in the night, from a full day of fun in the village. Moonlight on my face as I drift in and out of a blissful state of being.

Climbing the steep road in a little village near Shimla, singing aloud and keeping warm.

Being the only people (8 of us) watching a late night show in a little place near Meerut, and wondering what was the film about.

Waiting at midnight for the milk cake to be made in some place near the station in Allahabad and having the first lot.

Waking up to the first day of snow in Kulu. And hurrying back to Shimla as the snow increased steadily and made it difficult to drive back.

Sitting around a bonfire in Solan on some new year's eve and feeling melancholy amidst friends.

Waking before dawn to admire the sunrise at Mt. Abu and feeling a vital part of me missing.

Walking along the beach against a crimson sky, on a lonely evening in Chennai... the mood is difficult to express.

Watching movies at the theatres in every place I visit. Lying about my age when caught on the adult films.

Inpulsively, sitting on a cycle rickshaw and going off to see the town in Mathura, when the train made an unexpected halt of 4 hours. Needless to say, I never made it back on time and missed the train.

Watching in facination the spot where Rani Padmini committed Jauhar and slipping into a mystical bygone era.

Sandunes in the deserts in Rajasthan. Buying water and being thankful for it.

Little villages, full of romance, each telling a story.

Yeah, all these flash and clash in the mind. And I am hoping to get through a teenie weenie bit of this pile, this time.

13 Comments:

Blogger poonam said...

go, girl go! and come back with pictures. lot of them! :)

12:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came across your blog from Anita's posting. I have been reading night after night to catch up your archives. You write very well and I find it very interesting.That Hostel life posting is funny and the suicide and heart attack of your friends were very sad. India I left is not the India I read in these blogs. So much changed both for better and some for worse.
Rahul718212@aol.com

1:40 pm  
Blogger Ad astra per aspera said...

*sigh . You know how to paint a pretty picture with words.
I need your email adress to send you the invite. Dont worry I wont spam you. Hehehe In case you don't want to leave your address publically ,post it me, my email address is shilpa122@gmail.com.
Keep writing!
Shilpa
P.s: I have always wanted to be a writer.

4:58 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

Poonam: I will. I will.

Rahul: Thank you. It's a pleasure to know someone is actually reading all that I write.

Ad astra per aspera: You are a brilliant writer yourself. They just call me a writer here for want of a better word. Left my mail id on your page.

5:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How you managed to travel 12 months a year as a child? Please explain, she said jealously. And are you from tea?

Anita

7:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good good good! come back with many stories, great smile and lots of pictures too.

good luck and all the best.

always,
angel
angelfloralscent.blogdrive.com

7:38 am  
Blogger Akruti said...

Beautiful exp and expressions also,have loads of fun and comeback with lots of nice posts of ur exp:)

7:51 am  
Blogger Chakra said...

Take a good break & enjoy! Very very well written..hats off!

9:52 pm  
Blogger shub said...

awww...so sweetly written!!
same here, i too think, whenever i visit a beautiful place, the next time i'm coming here with that someone special!

2:59 pm  
Blogger Nupur said...

The words...
the feelings...
the thoughts... very real and very true.

I will have to come back to check how your trip went! :D
Take care and enjoy!

8:33 am  
Blogger anumita said...

Anita: I grew up in the middle of tea gardens. It's a little town which has roads lined with gardens. My folks still live there. I travelled a lot as a kid. And alone. Will tell it all some time.

Angel, Neels, Chakra Sampath: Thank you. I am back. Yes, have loads of stories, pictures and memories of good times.

Leela: Yeah, I have travelled quite a bit as a child. It was fun, without elders most of the time.

shub: It was good to be with the husband. And good to see him enjoying it all like a kid.

missnupur: The trip went very well. I don't know if I will be able to write it as well... but I'll try.

4:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey sweetie,
so happy to see yah back.. and waiting for your new post too.. how was it? lemme know or us know rather..

i am doing fine and had recharged :D exams over for me and went to see my mum and her bf..

yep.. everyone is moving on..

(imagine my family... dad & his gf, mom & her bf, me WITHOUT bf :( :p ) LOL!

get ur butt stable to blogland ;)

Angel
angelfloralscent.blogdrive.com

11:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Did you all know that shilpa was sleeping around with her boyfriend even though she has a Hubby. No wonder she is so touched by Anu's Poem

11:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home