Friday, December 17, 2004

If...

I am by no means starstruck. But when you have 'the' Aamir Khan sitting inches away from you, you can hardly ignore him. That was how it was at Prithvi Theatre last night, as we watched a brilliant rendition of Manto Ismat Chugtai Haazir Hai.

For me, it was tough concentrating - struggling with the fluent Urdu on stage and Aamir's reaction and hearty appreciation. For most of the play, he sat slumped forward resting his chin in his hands. And he was, oh-so-close, I could almost feel him breathing down my neck! I shamelessly listened in to all his conversations during the two hours. Hubby, of course, darted murderous looks and rebuked me well, later. But I know he himself had a good look at the actor, when he felt that Aamir Khan wasn't looking at HIM!!!

This season is good. Somehow there is an adundance of things to do, and places to go. So, what's new? The point is, I always feel like that. At this time of the year. Every year. Now I suspect it's not the abundance of things but more my active state of being. Suddenly, I am waking up to realise there's isn't much time. So rush, rush, rush. Do, do, do. Live, live, live.

And it's not only me. I have people all around bouncing about, looking good, feeling good. They are planning, executing, loving and living.
A friend has finally started exercising. She said "I am feeling good. Doesn't this time of the year make you feel 'young'?"

I congratulated her.

Then she declared "Oh! February is going to be so dull."

"Why?"

"Because I won't last that long. I only feel good at this time every year and start exercising. I cannot stretch the feeling till Feb!"

"How about exercising to feel good, rather than feeling good to exercise??" I shot back and disappeared before she could start on her pot-calling-the-kettle-black...

But I am just wondering if we are so bound by 'time', for the likes of us, the world could introduce a whole new calender with shorter time spans. A month and a year could be shorter. We would thus have more new years and more feel-good occasions to celebrate. We would be pulling up our darned socks more frequently and making more innocent resolutions! So what if we don't manage to get down to half of them! The ratio of 'work done' would still show better.

Also makes me wonder, why am I always looking for alternatives? Eutopian ways to live... to save the world from misery... why do I always have a difference in opinion from the rest of the world? Why is the best of my solutions often preceded by if?

Tch! tch!

New year resolution no. 1 - Remove the word IF from vocubulary. Face reality.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chakra said...

IF you have shorter years and more new years to celebrate, you would get old quickly... did u consider that? ;)

3:08 pm  
Blogger Pallavi said...

if there was not an IF we would not push forward so ? Amir Khan WOW.. am not one to be fazed by celebs but he is sure is cool... he must be looking cool with that hairdo of his.. looking forward to his new movie..

4:13 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

Chakra Sampath: You totally missed the point, my friend. Didn't I say, we would be celebrating new years more frequenty? I talk about changing madmade time frames, not our actual life spans. So we would actually be living upto ripe old ages, according to the new system, and not looking such.

Pallavi: Aamir indeed looked good in his hairy avatar but I adore his clean cutie boy look. But was glad to see him anyway!!

2:53 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

Chakra Sampath: Sorry, typo. that was supposed to be MANMADE time frames.

2:56 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

Peeved: IF you insist, we may not have any shorter years... but hey, let's face it, "zindagi ITNI lambi NAHI hai"... we can do with a slower pace to savour every bit of it.

2:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home