Friday, December 10, 2004

In this life

Aah, December! Another few days and we will be into a new year. And what do I have, to show for the one that went by?

This is the time of the year I take stock. Of merits and demerits, of pains and pleasures, of losses and gains, of dreams and desires - fulfilled and otherwise. And often I find myself racing to meet my own expectations and deadlines.

I will save the details of all the good and bad I gathered during the year for another post. Here I want to mention a good friend I made. This year.

She tends to bring out a lot in me. I love the discussions, her comments, the way she lives and her kindness. Once I even told her that I would like to taste a slice of her life.

Recently, my friend came back from a trip and told me the historical place she visited was marvelous. She found it kind of surreal and felt like she had walked into an antique painting. So that's one more place on my ever increasing list to visit.

And the year end gets me panicky that I have so much to do and so little time. The so much mostly concerns places to visit and books to read. Why is it with every book I read, I just realise how much I haven't read? The same with every place I visit. So much more to explore, to see. Sigh! One lifetime is simply not enough.

Yesterday, I mentioned to my friend that if there's any truth in rebirth, it should just be added with one more feature. Continuation of memory. We get reborn and remember what we did in the past lives. Like Life Part I, Life Part II…. and so on. So we could just continue from where we left off in the last birth.

That way, we don't need to keep reading the same books and visiting the same places. And maybe by the time, we are done with Karma we would have covered a fair bit.

So for this lifetime, may I request the whole of Africa and part of Europe? The books can come randomly...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! A memory carry over, why didn't I think about that? But yes, I am in the "racing to meet my own expectations and deadlines" group as well

Oh btw, this is Spaceman...didn't feel like filling up yet another form!

1:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me, I want Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Turkey, Scandinavia, South Africa, and the whole of India. The last would be, umm... three lifetimes?

Anita

8:52 am  
Blogger Pallavi said...

I would give anything for Egypt, Rome, Greece, Africa, Iceland, Ireland, Jamaica.. Mexico...

And if you would have remembered your past life .. it would have been painful since you would not be able to go back to what you were before.. and in fact you are continuing your journey... only difference is that you have been saved the pain of remembering.. which acts as a balance in completing your karmic cycle..

books ... yes I wish I had the time to read some more... SIGH !! downloaded some good ebooks today.. but still havent got used to the idea of reading a book off the computer :)

10:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"One lifetime is simply not enough" beautiful thot..Yeah.I wish the soul had some memory..smething that u can cut in a CD and carry with u!

dont despair now that the year's about to end..make new lists..live life again!!

Ajay-http://marriedsingle.rediffblogs.com

11:17 am  
Blogger Chakra said...

you write so very well..

memory continuation - thats a nice, out of the box thinking.. wd take India & Africa for this life. Rest can wait! :)

3:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi anumita =)

you are really sounding so mature and grown-up. my mum used to tell me something about the law of karma.

anyway, it's nice to reminisce the year that was =) so many things had happened. i only could hope that these make us a better individuals.

Happy holdiays to you andyours!

8:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was me:

ANgel F
angelfloralscent.blogdrive.com

8:15 am  
Blogger arvindiyer said...

Hey came here from meggie's blog..and am glad I did:) nice post and well hope to see u around:) take care and well IRELAND is a beautiful place..It rocks:)

10:05 am  
Blogger anumita said...

Spaceman: Don't we all rush at the end of the year! So what if you didn't think of it, you still support the idea of continuing memory!!

Anita: May we all get reborn as many times as we need to see and read all that the heart desires. Did anyone sneer, "humans? and satisfied?"

Pallavi: Maybe remembering would make us better humans with each lifetime as we would KNOW the reasons for our sufferings and try to avoid them. (High hopes!)
Painful not to go back? Again as of now, we cannot go back to our childhood, etc, but is it painful?
e-books? you are right. Nothing like the feel and smell of paper as you leaf through a book... aah!!

Ajay: I guess we HAVE reached an age where memories CAN be stored in a cd and carried along!

Chakra Sampath: Thank you. May you get India and Africa in this life!

Radhika: Tenth life? Wow! Technically, you are the most spiritually evolved one! By the way, would you rather have 'Moksha' than a shot at another great time here on earth?

Angel: Sweetie, I don't know about mature but I am pretty grown up. Don't you worry about Karma. You are going a great job with life. Have a wonderful holiday. You deserve it.
And I knew it was you the first time. You got a style of writing.

arvindiyer: Thank you. I am sure Ireland rocks. The men and leprechauns including.

11:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home