Wednesday, May 03, 2006

An Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

So I had been unwell. But in such a state, how do you deal with an OCD infected person?

It was a big medical centre, closer to home, that we went to. You have to queue up and pay the fees before and get a paper with the doctor's name and payment details before you even saw the doctor's room.

We were guided along a corridor and at the far end, there was a crowd seated against the wall. I knew they were all there to see the same doctor. They all looked like me and I was sure, felt like me too. Weak and feverish. Surprisingly they were all middle aged to elderly people. One old woman was on a wheelchair. I wondered what I was doing wrong to be getting sick at my age.

Just as we were about to sit down and wait our turn, a short perky nurse came and pointed to 2 chairs ahead. We walked there and sat. In some time, 2 patients came out the doctor's door. The nurse showed 2 more patients inside. Then she asked some others to shift to their place. And some others to take THEIR place.

After another patient had walked inside the doctor's door, she asked me and hubby to shift. I dragged myself. Then I saw the mad nurse ask an old lady to take another seat. The poor old lady limped and waddled there. I leaned close to hubby and whispered, "Bad case of OCD! Wants to keep rearranging things, including sick patients too!" Hubby nodded quietly, scared that she might hear and make us shift again.

I looked around and tried to figure out her criteria for the ever changing sitting arrangements. Was it age... or dressing... or colour... or even the way people looked... yes, right! She wanted to make sure how sick people were and how fast they could play musical chairs!! I smiled to myself. She caught my eye and pointed to another seat. I moved obediently.

She turned to seat a sick woman who was obviously very weak and came leaning on a man. I wanted to see whether she would remember where she sat me if I changed places quickly. I took a huge leap before hubby could stop me and landed on an empty seat just as she turned around. I looked at her in defiance. She lifted her arm and just then, a bell rang and the doctor's door opened. It was my turn to go in.

I smiled triumphantly at her and almost pumped my fist as I walked in.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-) I love this, how u made something as boring as a visit to hospital sound so much fun...

i recently had to visit a hospital too, may be i'll try blogging bout it too and see if i can make it sound even half as interesting as ur post :)

6:54 pm  
Blogger Alapana said...

One reason why i never miss coming to your blog is the simplicity of the situation,and the way it is explained:) Hope you are doing fine now. By the way,there is a news about me on my blog,I know you will be one of the few who will be happy for me:) Chk it when free.

10:51 pm  
Blogger Prerona said...

great post girl.been a long time. missed u. am in cal now. u?

11:51 pm  
Blogger Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

long time since u've blogged..
njoyed reading this one since it reminds me of how we r often at the whims n fancies of the ppl at the counter generally...

2:44 pm  
Blogger Sweety Maruth said...

nice post dearie !!!

3:42 pm  
Blogger GratisGab said...

LOL! Little victories..make our days dont they?

9:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor old lady... and shame on you for blaming your nastiness on your ill health - don't know you but somehow think you'd be just the same if you were in perfect health...

Right? Come on 'fess up!!

11:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see your posting Anumita. Wondering what happened! Hope you feel much better now. I was in India 2 months ago and had to take somebody to a clinic.That clinic is like a big business. You pay so much money,the guy (Doctor) just spends very few minutes. Hundreds of sick people sitting and waiting for hours and he spends less than 5 minutes and moves on. It was an horrible experience.I heard more stories like that.There is nobody controling them.VENKAT

8:57 am  
Blogger Jackal said...

tht's was funny.......u shud have asked her why she did tht.....hope u ding fine n dont need to go tht musical chair game again :))

1:56 am  
Blogger Stone said...

Hope allz well with you!!!
Take care!

5:24 am  
Blogger {illyria} said...

awesome! i do hope you're feeling in tip-top shape now. :)

8:20 am  
Blogger AmitL said...

LOL...that sure was a case of OCD,I guess..:)Hope u're feeling a-ok,and don't have the OC,err,urge,to play musical chairs any more.:)

9:17 am  
Blogger Cee Kay said...

Heh! Funny. I can't even begin to imagine how the poor nurse would feel should some patients just refuse to move on account of being very sick. Maybe she had too much time on her hands - or control issues. I could even identify with her but my OCD is limited to canisters in a cabinet and books on a bookshelf. LOL!

11:48 pm  
Blogger Somashekhar said...

a musical chair for patients.

a nice article..

6:59 pm  
Blogger hope and love said...

ha..! ha..! ha..!
a funny and smart post..
nice to see u r back in action..
plz do keep writing ur wonderful posts..
:))

12:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol...child in us never die

1:28 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

amitken: Thanks, and I am waiting for you to write your post :)

alapana: Welcome to the other side! How goes life?

prerona: In cal for good?

swathi: You are so right.

sweety misha: Thank you and welcome.

gratisgab: They sure do. How is the maharaja doing?

melody: Me nasty? What gave you that impression?

venkat: So which part of India were you in? No, it's not as bad as that. In fact people from others countries specially USA and UK are flocking to India for treatment as the same is available much cheaper here:)

jackal: I know I should have but I was in a hurry to see the doc and didnt want to risk being sent to the bottom of her list. And thanks am fine now.

stone: Yessir, all well and good.

transience: Thank you dear, am good. How you?

amitl: Isnt it? Extreme case I tell you!

datingman, jerusalem: Firstly welcome and thank you. Secondly, you are right I am middleclass but you are wrong about India being proverty stricken like you say. The country is so rich in culture, history and heritage that economics take a deep backseat :) Come over sometime... you haven't lived if you havent seen India!

gettingthere: I know! Even my OCD is limited to washing hands and matching clips to clothes on the line. But this woman took the cake!

express the feelings: thank you.

hope and love: Thanks dear.

sherriff: You are so right!

2:19 pm  
Blogger Pranav said...

hahaha!! I once had a flatmate who kept rearranging things and he used to go into a ballistic rearrangement mode even if I placed a pencil out of its stand!

5:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home