Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The ice skater

Some time back when there were a lot of people in the house and there was pressure to entertain them in different ways day after day, we ended up scaling new heights.

One afternoon, hubby and I walked into an ice skating rink and waved at our lot of people in the viewers' gallery. The only problem was that before that day, all the skating we had done was of the roller types.

Feet strapped into the heavy skates, standing on the razor like blade itself was an art. A balancing art we tried to master with arms stretched wide and fake smiles plastered on the faces. The audience cheered. Holding on to the walls and then the railing, I walked gingerly into the rink. Hubby waved his arms about and managed to move. Slowly and cautiously I let go of the railing and moved too. "Hey, both of you come over here! I want to get a pic!" said a familiar voice. I didn't look up.

We managed to come closer to the voice and stand next to each other. Photo session over, hubby found some confidence and started moving faster. Soon he was circling the rink and passing me again and again. I noticed while crossing me his arms and legs would swing some more. No longer able to let go of his moment of glory, he called out as he passed me for the 4th time. "Hey, look at me. Watch the master skater!!" And the next moment, thud!! His butt hit the smoking frozen ice hard.

And now as I rub iodex on his tailbone every night, I throw him a little pearl of wisdom which he is not going to forget in a hurry, "Remember darling, pride is always always followed by a great fall."

16 Comments:

Blogger Prerona said...

lol. its scary ya. i remember the first and only time i did it after growingup (skating - not showing off, ie) it was soooooo scary!

10:50 am  
Blogger Shankar said...

Hehe, this only serves to remind me of myself when I proclaimed myself master chef before two ladies that were cooking then, and after which I told them to step aside to show them how the real master would cook, BUT upon reaching the sink, asked: 'umm, how many cups of water it'd take to cook a cup of rice?'

Be assured that they had their laugh that day - still, it has never stopped me from proclaiming the same again, hehe, and I can only hope that the little mishap won't stop your husband too from proclaiming his expertise too.

11:19 am  
Blogger Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

funny...your poor hubby...always trapped...sometimes in cooking, sometimes in the skating ring... Hope u r taking good care of him..

2:58 pm  
Blogger shub said...

hey I wanna try Ice skating sometime too! you had fun? apart from laughing at hubby, I mean:P

4:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol..
the master skater and his wisdome tailbone :) hope he's doing fine now...

11:54 am  
Blogger Arunima said...

lol.

Never tried skating of any kind in my life.

4:13 pm  
Blogger Mukta Raut said...

hey!

where did you go skating?

7:04 pm  
Blogger Cee Kay said...

He he he! That was funny :D Pride is indeed followed by a fall. Hope your hubby is doign well now.

2:45 am  
Blogger Cee Kay said...

You've been TAGGED!! See the details at http://my2centstoo.blogspot.com/2006/07/my-first-official-legal-actual-tag.html

And I don't know if you do tags, but please, PLEASE do this one?? Izzat ka sawaal hai :P

6:22 am  
Blogger the crow said...

Came across your blog a few days back. Almost thought you stopped writing. Thought I'd let you know....I think you write beautifully...better than Rushdie! (hehehehe). That apart, a twenty year old scorpio is amused at the life of a thirty year old scorpio. hheehheeh

7:31 pm  
Blogger Manish said...

Everyone is entitled to their 15 minutes of fame...but sometimes shit just happens.

I can empathize with your husband (on more than one occasions :))

11:45 am  
Blogger upsilamba said...

LOL!!!!
now I'm sure you wished someone had captured the fall. a great fridge door pic it wud have been?!

8:56 pm  
Blogger Alapana said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:55 pm  
Blogger Alapana said...

Tch,Tch,Tch,Poor Hubby.

10:56 pm  
Blogger vivek said...

Wonderful to see you blogging again,Anumita.Missed your posts and visited now and then.Hope you are all safe and doing great in Bombay.

12:33 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

prerona: I didn't know what I was in for till I was on the skates!

shankar: Welcome. Oh, dont worry, in these cases and hubby has a goldfish's memory and keeps falling into the ame trap again and again. I hope by now you know how many cups of water make good rice.

priyanka: I am an angel for him. Oh, what would he do without me?

shub: I was too scared of falling myself to have fun. And at the hubby is a necessary part of life.

amitken: Yes, thankfully healed and well now.

arunima: You aren't missing anything much.

mukta: Esselworld. We will go next time if you want. But skiing in snow is a dream compared to skating on ice.

getting there: Hubby fine. Though the pain emerges when he has to move his ass and do something. Will do your tag, babes.

the crow: Welcome and thank you for thinking I write well. These are the vain reasons I will probably never stop writing.

manish: Welcome. I can see the hubby is gathering his empathizers!

upsilamba: Welcome, I like your name. Actually why didnt I think of it before? Oh how I wish now somebody had indeed got the shot.

alapana: Poor and him? Come on, you are MY friend.

venkat: Thank you so much. Yes, we are all safe and well here.

7:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home