Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Everytime I think of writing something, it's no longer enough. It's no longer what I want to write. It's just not what I thought a long time ago that I would be writing. It's not what I feel happy writing.

The mind travels to a time when there was a little diary and pretty pens with coloured ink that I always carried in my bag. And used all the time at the strangest of places. A local train, a platform bench, a 3am-glass-of-water-need turning into an hour of writing furiously. As the world sleeps, I sit silently on my desk by the large window and look out to the looming building and try to catch a glimpse of the sea beyond? the mystery of the night tells its own story. I listen.

Sometimes I walk out to the dimly lit long corridor and then find my friend M walking out herself. We go to the stairs and sit together. We weave stories. We talk of different lives. We wrap each other in fascinating webs of the most amazing tales. We talk of past lives, we live them again. Some real, some surreal.

And then when we know the moon has travelled to the other side of the sky, we go back to our rooms and sleep.

In the morning, it's another day. I try to relive the stories of the night but they always seem to have flown away. But while they lasted in the night, I tell you, I lived like no human had lived before.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well catching up on old times with ur freinds...nothing like it...seems ur freind is also suffering from insomnia

4:36 pm  
Blogger Prerona said...

:)

5:21 pm  
Blogger Stone said...

Beautiful piece!

3:18 am  
Blogger Viky said...

Wow. Profound. Was a silent reader all this time, but this drove me to comment.

Beautiful piece.

9:11 pm  
Blogger Sudipta Chatterjee said...

Kind-a haunting... but well, you recreated the scene through words quite well.

P.S.- Why this insomnia?

11:11 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

i miss my diary and my cruiser pen...

5:58 am  
Blogger vivek said...

:) I wanted to post something on my blog since the begining of the year.Yesterday,I thought that posting about Hirsi Ali,Somali born Danish M.P is perfect. Today I am not so sure. That is the way It has been for 5 months. Sitting with your friend at night, chatting like that, I think,is delightful.

11:32 am  
Blogger Alapana said...

Those blissful days of my diary..

4:44 pm  
Blogger Jackal said...

very well written anumita....

6:47 pm  
Blogger {illyria} said...

proof of how, sometimes, you can't write fast enough to keep up with living. i love this piece.

8:21 am  
Blogger sanguine said...

very nicely written .
well done , anumita

1:32 pm  
Blogger GuNs said...

Never kept a diary. Never let my deepest thoughts sneak out of my head. Never let out a word that I didnt want to.

But since I've been (re)introduced to blogging, I seem to be putting down my weirdest thoughts, depressive thoughts, triumphant moments, general opinions, special opinions (lol)....everything on screen. Does feel weird to read my own thoughts in words sometimes.

Do read my blog when you get time and dont forget to comment on the posts if you like/dislike them.

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

12:03 am  
Blogger Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

so u r back to ur poetical self :)
nice, very nice...

10:47 am  
Blogger Arunima said...

All the nice stories seem to come up often during exam times.

2:41 pm  
Blogger seriously_frivolous said...

This article reminds me of this movie "before sunrise"...A one to one conversation with a loved one under the star studded sky. Thats one conversation where things left unsaid are better understood..

10:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

will recommend you to go thru franz kafka if not yet

3:43 am  
Blogger anumita said...

sherriff: Not insomnia. Some of us just sleep less :)

prerona: :) How you?

Stone: Thank you.

viky: Thank you for reading and for commenting.

sudipta: No insomnia. I dont like to sleep much.

atul: Me too.

venkat: Just start writing whatever you feel like. The moment you start thinking it gets difficult to post.

alapana: I believe you still have one? :)

jackal: Thank you.

transience: I would like to believe that myself, unless somebody reminds me that the quality is also going sour.

richa: Thanks dear.

gangadhar: Yes they definitely are.

guns: I think being anonymous gives you a lot of cover to go ahead and write all you want. I unfortunately do not have that luxury.

swathi: Just trying to post once in a while :)

arunima: You bet! All the stories, the gossips and everything that makes a good chat session.

seriously_frivolous: Must try to get the movie and watch it then.

amit srivastava: I have read a bit of Kafka and was greatly influenced at one time. But any particular recommendation?

2:54 pm  
Blogger Pallavi said...

I could say the same about my dreams.. :)

9:46 pm  
Blogger Janaki said...

oh dear! i could not have read this at a better time.. am going into throes of 'may be i should not be writing?' hmmm even the post agonising over the same is lying in the drafts.. after all i cant write can i? how are u?

11:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home