Friday, November 30, 2007

the baby at play

Kids love me and I love them. Specially the really small ones, who just learn to walk and say a few cute words. They take to me easily and I am often playing around with them or checking out their toys with them and giving them superman rides (where I lift them horizontally and run about). After some time, they love me with their heart and follow me around.

My niece clings to me, rather she thinks my whole purpose in life is to carry her around. She sees me and walks towards me with arms raised, sometimes smiling till her eyes disappear. I heave her up and perch her on my hip and after a minute place her down in a different spot. She loves being carried and holds out her arms to anyone who even looks at her. Adults, the suckers that they are, get carried away with a chubby toddler walking towards them, imploring to be carried. She’s kind of heavy, unlike my friend N's kid.

This 2 year old little girl now is like a fairy princess. Tiny, dainty and fragile looking, she is a light weight pretty baby with the most beautiful eyes. Again this baby too comes to me like a magnet. While all other babies are busy dancing and pulling off things, this one insists on being in my arms and playing with my hair. Except for the time when we were all sitting very formally in N's mother's very formal drawing room solemnly discussing about N's husband's accident with his male colleagues.

The little one tiptoed to me and climbed on my lap. I held her making her comfortable. She turned around to play with my hair. Then something else caught her attention. My chest. She looked, then placed a hand on my breast and squeezed. I moved her hand away and tried to distract her, noticing the men trying not to notice. She gave me a hurt look and placed her hand firmly again. I gestured to her mother, N giggled happily and ignored my murderous glances. The baby went on with her exploration. Then N's mother, bless her, noticed the struggle, and tried to take the baby away. The baby cried holding on firmly now. Everybody turned openly to watch the circus. I was mortified. Not knowing if I should let her be with me playing happily with my breast or let her be snatched away kicking and screaming.

Finally the child was carried away and I tried to regain my dignity. All was not lost but still… what a child can reduce you to is not funny!

12 Comments:

Blogger Cee Kay said...

Hehehe... This brought back memories :) One of my cousins, who is about 10 years younger to me, one grabbed my brest, squeezed it and said "POM POM"!! She was about 3 years old at that time. I was mortified! Now I look back at it and think it was funny :P

8:36 pm  
Blogger Cee Kay said...

Ooops! Look at the NUMBER of typos in my first comment. But you get the drift, don't you? :D

8:37 pm  
Blogger Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

hee,hee! funny one this...I'm waiting eagerly for u to get one of your own...

9:32 pm  
Blogger asuph said...

absolutely. they are little devils. but then i love the devil. s/he is unnecessarily maligned.

10:32 pm  
Blogger Layon said...

:)

12:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha !! it was like this one time when my dog in Shillong started gripping my legs and start humping in front of my friends... and stupid me did not know what was going on.. hahaha !!!

Sheesh... after that I am very careful...

aru kene kua... bhaal khobor asse neki... :)

1:38 pm  
Blogger Sangita S said...

:-D,thats blushy kindaa scary..

1:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shucks! it must have felt real embarassing! Anyways, Happy New Year and it was nice reading your blog again!

4:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! :)

9:53 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

:-D lol! poor you!

9:51 pm  
Blogger Dimple said...

Hhahah that was sooo funny..

8:52 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

gettingtherenow: god, i can imagine! that must be been so embarassing! kids, i tell you :)

stone: finding it funny? :)

priyanka: yaya, wait.

asuph: hehe... not maligned. They hardly know what they do but they always manage to come up with interesting things.

layon: :)

pallavi: hahaha!!! that's hilarious! this used to happen with M whenever he used to go to a friend's house. the dog doesnt leave him alone :)

sangita: hehe, it was embarassing and funny.

shini: thanks. happy new year to you too.

gaizabonts: happy new year to you too.

radhika: thanks for understanding!

dimple: you bet.

3:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home