Thursday, August 23, 2007

How much do I LIVE?

People look at me in surprise when I say I hate sleeping. What is so nice about this whole state of being knocked out straight for a couple of hours? I was mentioning if ever a pill is invented which you can just pop and feel refreshed and rested, I would be the first one to buy it. In fact I have often dreamt of something like that.

Since I can recollect I have hated sleeping. If someone asked why or how could I feel like that, I would reply "I will be doing enough of that in my grave." And I would get some looks that pronounced me weird. I do believe the nights are so beautiful that it's a waste to spend them dead.

I think it's this whole state of being unconscious, of being helpless that gets to me. It is also to do with always having less time for everything. I think I am most greedy for time, wanting more for everything and then finally when things don’t fit it, I curse sleep that takes up so much time every day.

But it's not that I don't feel sleepy. I do, more so as age creeps up. I am beat at the end of the day. I try to go on till as late as possible… 2am… 3am… and finally give in knowing I will feel sick in the morning if I don't shut my eyes for a couple of hours. Thankfully I am an early riser. I love dawns... the time when the sun readies itself and we get a peep at it while it's dressing up to face the day. The time when we see light but see no shadows. I love every moment of the day and night. Whether it's 5pm in Bombay, or 5am in my little town or say even 1am in Mauritius, every time of the day has its charm. And I regret the time I am dead in bed, when I don't get to experience these moments consciously.

For these very reasons people find me crazy. Maybe I am. But I definitely don't fancy wasting over one third of my lifespan being dead when the event itself is called LIFE!

14 Comments:

Blogger Stone said...

hmmm....rather I'd prefer atleast 30hrs in a day , 24hrs are too less!!

10:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"In fact I have often dreamt of something like that." Where else would you get the bliss of dreaming the impossible - even if it is against sleep! :-D

3:18 am  
Blogger Sudipta Chatterjee said...

Hmm... I love to sleep, especially when I've done good work during the rest of the day: some study, some workout, a good research paper discussed. And yes, I hold the record for having slept for 23 hours straight. :)

3:47 am  
Blogger anumita said...

stone: But you would still need to sleep extra to cope with the extra hours!

gaizabonts: That's really smart and much expected of you to notice! But dream is just a figure of speech here where I mean "hope for"... "imagine"... :)

sudipta: Ya, that's the only reason I sleep. Telling myself, it gets me fresh and lets me do some good work. And yes, I have friends who can even give up friendship for sleep!

12:44 pm  
Blogger shub said...

:)
I'm quite the opposite..
Love my 7 hours of slumber every night.

2:47 pm  
Blogger Unmana said...

I've often thought on similar lines - but I wouldn't want to do away with sleep totally, just do with less of it! Which is actually funny, considering the amount of sleep I need! But I've often wished I could do with a couple of hours sleep - I could fit in so much more into my day.

6:11 pm  
Blogger comfortably numb said...

Hi Anumita,

First time on your blog...
Good one!! You have given a totally new dimension to the phenomena of 'sleeping'. Though I'm an insomniac, I get frustrated when I can't sleep and similarly have a tough time waking up in the mornings.

Keep blogging.

Soumen

4:54 pm  
Blogger Sari said...

hi dear .. just passed by your blogger ..indeed a gud one . after redaing this i really gave a thought as how much i sleep in a day .. actualy i just sleep ven i wnt to.. (nop no nt in off yaar) ..i mean to say if u giv me great muvie collection i will watch it all day long till i dnt see them all .. and if sumtimes even though i m nt fleeping sleepy and wnt to get rid of my mom's stry ( you know how mom's are excited while telling them) just immitating like takea me to sleep .. dat is the rsn i m cnfused as to which catgry i belong to :)) help me out ..

7:01 pm  
Blogger Sangita S said...

Quite a view on sleeping and I thought sleeping was essential beauty:-) I love mine .u sleep few hours only gosh that's amazing..At times I do but then I more than comepnsate for it next day ;-)

10:34 pm  
Blogger Neville said...

you have finally started posting again... I am happy. Do visit my blog and on my blog roll, check out trilok and veda's blog... You will like em...they also post regularly.

5:15 pm  
Blogger Priyanka said...

I can't do away with my sleep but liked your take on it...your post made for a very interesting read!

2:11 am  
Blogger anumita said...

shub: You are very normal.

unmana: Exactly! It's a waste i tell you.

comfortably numb: Welcome. I know not being able to sleep when you are supposed to, can be frustrating!

sari: You belong to a very normal category :)

sangita: That's good. If you love sleeping you are blessed.

neville: Thanks Neville. I checked their blogs tracing them from comments left here. Great writers!

well heeled: Welcome and thanks a ton.

8:02 pm  
Blogger Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

Hee,hee...didn't know u think the same way that I do...well almost... I don't have anything against sleep, but wud hv loved it if we could go on without sleeping..24 hrs really fall short for me too...

6:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love my energy naps.. and I love the dusk... :)

10:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home