Wednesday, February 06, 2008

care for coffee?

No, the Goa road trip didn't happen. Blame it on the crazy schedule at work which is literally breaking my back. I need to go for that medical check up soon. But I am trying to get a few hours of sleep and trying to handle the freaky Bombay weather.

Last Sunday, we were driving around town. At one of the most sexy places in the city where a bridge over the sea is also in progress for the last many many years, we stopped to take in a few moments of pristine view in the late evening.

The biting chill immediately slapped us hard. The breeze was strong and I zipped up my jacket and let my hair block the cold pinch at my neck and ears. I warmed my hands inside the jacket pocket and watched hubby do the same.

"I think a steaming cup of coffee will clear my head. Should we just stop over at Barista?" He suggested.

"Good idea." I agreed as I settled on the low railing with my back to the sea and taking in the skyscrapers in front.

We saw more people huddled with winter wear and some gym types trying desperately to stick their muscled chests out, some bared like landscaped rocks till a low point in the body. What is with men cleavages these days!

We saw a young boy with a loaded bicycle stop near this group. He unearthed a huge kettle from inside a covered little stove from his back carrier. Taking out tiny plastic cups, he poured some warm beverage and was serving it around.

"Hey, street coffee after so long!! Let's have some. Wow! Imagine coffee coming to you here!!"Hubby exclaimed.

"Sure." I tried to match the enthusiasm.

He served us two watery sweet but hot cups of coffee for 10 bucks and moved on.

"Poor fellow, carrying the kettle and then selling coffee so cheap…" I went into my life-is-not-fair guilt trip.

"But he's doing brisk business. Have you noticed he's selling to everyone here." Hubby chipped in.

"Yes, but how much can this kettle hold? 30 cups… 40 cups? I mean he can't be making more than 150-200 bucks."

"Ya, but he would refill it and come back."

"But this is the only time in the day and only at this place that people would want to sip coffee. He has to refill really quick…"

Suddenly we both looked at each other and quickly upturned the plastic cups pouring whatever remained, down the slope.

We got back into the car, placed the plastic cups in the little garbage bag inside and drove off with a weird taste in the mouth…

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor thing:) Sometimes we get into conversations unnecessarily.. But they are thought provoking and good time pass:-) I am glad that I am the first one to write a comment for this post of urs:)

Jai bagmar

2:44 pm  
Blogger Sudipta Chatterjee said...

You should really announce in National dailies when you come out of hibernation. Looks like you had a fun Goa trip. And yes, male power drives the world!

(Heheh --- come on! You can make a great retort to that!) :)

4:23 am  
Blogger Mukta Raut said...

come by my office some time. There's a man who makes THE. MOST. EXCELLENT. chai ever!

Lets go for dinner, na...after chai. :-D

2:11 pm  
Blogger Unmana said...

Nice to see you posting again. :)
Are you in Mumbai this weekend?

2:34 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

jai: With the amount of comments that come in, being first is not too dificult :)

sudipta: For you, it ll have to be international news service :) You didnt read the post? We never made it to Goa!
And since you are expecting me to reply, well male power drives the world, women ride on it!

mukta: You forgot, I dont have chai! But we can go for that dinner. How was the show?

unmana: Yes, am in Mumbai this weekend. Any plans?

3:24 pm  
Blogger Unmana said...

Am coming over on Friday/Saturday to visit the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival. http://www.caferati.com/kgaf/ Let me know if you care to turn up as well...

4:11 pm  
Blogger Arunima said...

didn't understand that part where you poured the remaining coffee. Was it tasteless or you sensed something bad or generally, like we normally leave the last bit of a cup? :-)

3:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see people blogging for 3 years ! amazing effort.

7:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Attitude ah!!;)
Jai

4:29 pm  
Blogger Priyanka Mahanta Pandiyan said...

Hey Anumita, u shud'v come down to Goa somehow, girl. I really had fun this time...as always. But found it much colder than the other times I'v been there. Had fun nonetheless. Wud be mailing u the pics around the weekend and give u the gory details later on. Back to work now. Work sucks!

5:58 pm  
Blogger Stone said...

'Sensing a business opportunity' at its best!!

Keep writing :-)

11:12 pm  
Blogger Rocky said...

We always do that on our bike trips. Take a "butt Break" every 100km and have a small chai.

Also use to do that in M.G.Road after midnite. Till the cops chased all of us away. Thula "Mama" says - sleep at 11pm. No dancing, no drinking, no nothing in Bangalore - wonlee working, earning and paying EMI.

Travelers tips: Always drink Koofee in southern part of our country and tea in Northern part. Problem is Mumbai is west-central. Hmm!

How is that Bandra bridge coming up?

Will drop by soon. Waiting for a bigger/faster motobike. Just completed my safety riding technique class (1st of its kind in India)

5:56 pm  
Blogger Sangita S said...

Read your post sometime back..And today re reading..But neither could I figure out then nor today what was wrong.was it the water pr smoething??Bohooo Bohoo what am I missing here and nobody else seems to mind this bit..Please share the mystery

9:50 am  
Blogger anumita said...

arunima, sangeeta: I think I better explain this bit. The fact that he had to refill it quickly struck us and the next thing was that where would he go and refill it from...? And you immediately wonder where he would he get safe drinking water from...
Yes, it was the quality of water that was the issue and anybody living in bbay would know that it's not very easily available on a bandra flyover.

balaji: We try.

Jai: Hardly. But having a not too strong immune system and having had typhoid once I wouldnt take a chance.

priyanka: Hey I wish too, but work's been crazy... where are the pics? Waiting...

stone: Absolutely!

rocks: ketiya ahibi?

Priyanka

11:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a garbage bag in your car - that is mighty impressive - my car sometimes feels like the garbage bag... I learnt a lesson from this post ;)

11:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home