Thursday, August 11, 2005

One, two, bend and touch my shoe!

On the phone, my mom is advising me to do yoga. "Now that you've time to yourself. It'll help flatten your tummy. And also clear your skin."

"Oh, ok."

"An hour at 5 in the morning should be enough."

"What!!! 5 am!! That's midnight!"

Even my early morning persona cannot digest waking up at this hour when dawn is far from cracking.

"But you have plenty of time now."

"All the more reason I should sleep some more, Ma. You know what! I am going to the gym instead. The tummy will disappear in no time."

And gym for me means I can eat whatever I want, as much as I want. What I like, I help myself to generously. All the time. Everytime. Till I cannot stand the sight of it anymore. But till then I binge. So right now, I am gorging on chocolates unconsciously. I realise only when I see wrappers tucked between sofa cushions, into the little ashtray, and in the glass flower vase.

Then I notice my bare legs, resting on the table. Much shorter they seem, and such heavy thighs. Are they mine? I don't know anymore. Logic tells me you need heavier thighs and legs to support heavier body. Right. And let's not forget bigger clothes too.

Meanwhile I am yet to decide the right gym. You know... the right music, the right ac temperature, the right crowd, the right instructor. Motivation, actually. No, paying the xrated fees is not motivation enough. So far I have checked out three. One of them twice. I got to decide today cause far off, a proud mother is dreaming of a flat tummied and clear skinned daughter.

18 Comments:

Blogger Stone said...

Try playin some sports....or start with a 20-mins brisk walk.

10:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear, if we didn't have mothers, we'd all be hags!

11:13 am  
Blogger Rat said...

That post could have been written by me !! Im considering just buying a new wardrobe instead :)

11:14 am  
Blogger {illyria} said...

i never had a love affair with sweating, but i guess there comes a time when we really do have to sweat it out.

12:23 pm  
Blogger Janaki said...

Cmon.. your break away from what we called work and u r going to a gym!! heheehhe

12:29 pm  
Blogger Chakra said...

what a coincidence.. am checking out on various gyms in the village i live... need to decide on one soon.

1:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lucky you!
my mom has come all the way home from mumbai, and now i have no excuse whatever from a tel massage every week, and yoga - a whole f-o-r-t-y-f-i-v-e minutes every evening! :-((

3:00 pm  
Blogger shub said...

"And gym for me means I can eat whatever I want, as much as I want"
u just quoted me! :D srsly tahtz my reason to gym! :o) i love it tho! :)

3:21 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

stone: Have you heard of something called laziness? If not, come meet me. Personified.

kahini: You bet!

rat: No money to do that. Had just changed wardrobe couple of months back. Soon they'll stop manufacturing my size.

transience: My time had long come.

jaygee: One of the 'wants' of the break. The whole list is far from getting done.

chakra: Aah! Aren't we sailing in the same boat! But I bet you aren't battling the bulges.

radhika: tel maalish? I love that! I am ready to do yoga too for that. Lucky YOU!!

shub: You bet! I don't believe in eating less. One reason I happily agree to sweat.

4:43 pm  
Blogger Arunima said...

are the three gyms close by?

Try searching in the neighbourhood for 30 minutes everyday :-) and walk.

5:43 pm  
Blogger Akruti said...

Hahaha,i was saying "I GOT TO JOIN A GYM" from last 6 monthsa,but i have no time u see;) and my mom has a question "How come i find u free to blog all the time:(

5:54 pm  
Blogger Sudipta Chatterjee said...

Yeah, I know how nice it feels to have the gym as an excuse for gobbling up, since I am having first-hand experience right now. BTW, a nice idea would be to assign that responsibility of the 5-o-clock waking up to some real altruist :) I am sure he/she will get slim and trim doing this job faster.

6:44 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

arunima: Wow! Why didn't I think of it before. Yeah, they are all pretty close by.

akruti: Priorities. Priorities, my dear Akruti!

sudipta: Yes, anything to eat more. So what if it's a little sweating.

11:19 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Have been struggling to achieve that flat stomach and non flabby arms for a looooooong time now :(( Still battling! And I don't believe in deprieving myself of food either:D

1:37 pm  
Blogger Twilight Fairy said...

My mom uses *exactly* the same words! and I binge in exactly the same way :p :)

4:34 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

twilight fairy, parna: aren't mothers the same everywhere!

wicked angel: Actually feels better eating after having sweated a bit.

9:43 am  
Blogger Pallavi said...

tell me about it.. my family went beserk when they saw me... they were like desperate that i get thinner and prettier... sheesh...

9:54 am  
Blogger anumita said...

pallavi: You dont have to work on your prettiness. You already are. Thinner... give it a shot. But you look fine to me.

11:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home