Sunday, September 11, 2005

People who eat sushi do not pack and get the leftovers home

I have been out a bit. I see peoples' eyebrows change shape if I mention I have been busy. "But didn't you quit your job?"

"So I did. I had gotten tired of too much rest in office." That's what it seems like now, when I think of my days of slumping on the same chair for 9 hours a day and eating delicious hot meals at my desk, going out for walks, for coffee, or to Crosswords if I got bored. AND getting paid for it.

Now, there is plenty of running around, little odd things to do, watch movies, read a bit, go out, meet friends and no cheque coming in at the end of the month. But I am not complaining. Yet.

The hubby is still sticking to his busy schedule. We had plenty of family and friends around so it was a lot of eating out and later trying to balance the calories at the gym. Yes, trying really hard. When I cycle and my calves burn with the weight, I think of my 120 kilo aunt on the little cycle rickshaws back home. Poor guys, it must be a challenge for them, for their slim tyres. And I pant my way to redemption.

By the way, the gym owner is really impressed and wants me to join his taekwando (I don't even know how to spell the word!) classes. I am planning to convince him to start tai chi and kick boxing. That I would join. I have also been thinking of buying a sandbag to punch. But of course there is no place to hang it and it would punch us more in our little house, than the other way round.

Since with the busy schedule guy, we cannot go out too far or for too long, we do a lot of meals out. Trying out new restaurants. Eating at old favourites.

The other night, we went out to this really chic place. We sat on kitch sofas and peered at each other in the light of a little floating candle while Buddha Bar pulsated. The hubby sniffed a bit and declared he's feverish and would like a nice hot soup first. I scoffed and asked for chilled apple cider.

He looked at his large soup and saw pieces of egg floating. Did I mention he's allergic to eggs? "Can I have something without eggs in it?" he asked for another. As I looked at the pushed aside soup, the right side of the menu flashed in my mind. Over 300 bucks. I reached for the miserable bowl and alternated a chilled sip and a steaming spoonful. There goes half my appetite.

I asked the man before ordering each of his favourite dishes. And when they arrived he had a bite of each. When we were done, I surveyed the leftovers. The right side of the menu disturbed me again. I asked for the leftover sushi and barbequed spare ribs to be packed.

"Hey, that was really nice. We must come here more often."

"Yes. But you hardly ate. You must feel like high society ordering sushi and then just pecking at it."

"I almost did, untill you asked for it to be packed."

I learnt my first lesson on seaweed wrapped rolls filled with rice and pieces of sea food and veggies.

31 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

First one to comment!

2:43 am  
Blogger Sudipta Chatterjee said...

Yeah, nice to learn about your lessons of the gastronomic kind :)

10:58 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Totally agree with you on the work bit, if given a choice between being at work and doing my house work I know what I would chose. I swear my weekends are a lot more stressful than the weekdays :(

Loved the conversation on the leftovers :)

1:05 pm  
Blogger Nupur said...

120 kilo aunt compared to ur cycling!! LOL!!!
And gurl.... they let you take food - takeaway?! Hmm... here chic restuarant like you described say thats against their 'Food n Health safety' policy!!

1:18 pm  
Blogger Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

another of those funny posts :)

sometimes I think if we cant endure these at restaurants
can we tolerate them at home later??

2:34 pm  
Blogger Rat said...

Its your sushi !!!!! Good thing you packed it :)

2:47 pm  
Blogger Abhishek said...

i love food.....(who doesnt?)
by the way...i just think that most wives like trying "kickboxing" on their hubbies.is it da same with u?

3:25 pm  
Blogger hope and love said...

nice post.
:))
hey!! iv tagged you.u hav to take the quiz.
:))

4:17 pm  
Blogger Prerona said...

i hate wasting food too - specially when eating out - specially with heavy Right hand sides ... really feels yuck! :)

5:05 pm  
Blogger Prerona said...

i used to do aikido ... i think this thing at ur gym maybe similar ... its fun :)

5:05 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would hate to spam. But you guys looked like a "FOODIE COUPLE" so thought would give you a link to one of my blogs.

http://khanapeena.blogspot.com

Do share your thoughts. Thanks!

5:13 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

WASTE SUSHI!?!

NO! SAY IT ISN'T SO!

OH THE TRAGEDY! THE TRAGEDY!!!

THE SHAME, THE SHAME!

*mighty smack on the back of my head*

Oops.

Did I vocalise out loud?

8:48 pm  
Blogger GratisGab said...

take-away can save the day! (the next day rather..)

tho restaurant food can taste so blah at home..

10:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and the food even tastes better the next day

10:52 pm  
Blogger shlok said...

sushi? I don't like it! On a different note, here's another one from me about: husbands...
cheers!

3:18 am  
Blogger Subhrajyoti Mukhopadhyay said...

nice !

10:10 am  
Blogger anumita said...

atul: Thank you. I am honoured. :)

sudipta: There's so much we learn everyday.

wicked angel: You bet. Most of my female colleagues have the same thing to say. They would be all dying to get back to work after an extended weekend!

nupur: She must be more than 120 kilos! And every time she got onto a rickshaw, there would be a puncture or the spokes of the wheels would bent!
Yes, here we can pack anything. Customer is king.

swathi: If you mean the husband, you get used to them. :)

rat: Exactly my thought!

abhishek: No, I dont "kickbox" him. I think I am a little stronger than my husband. Might just hurt him badly. :)

hope and love: Will do it soon.

prerona: Wastage, the reason I always like to clean my plate. What is aikido? Must check.

kapil: We are a foodie couple. Will check your link.

tricorn: Didnt waste at the restaurant, see? Packed it.

gratis: I like most leftover food better the next day.

colours: You bet! I often order extra to pack for next days meals.

shlok: I suppose it's an acquired taste. A lot of people dont like it. For me it reminds me of my childhood with similar tasting food.

parna: Thank you for agreeing. But am ashamed to say I had to dump the sushi the next day. I tried to make some friends eat it too and finally threw it. It tasted awful.

10:26 am  
Blogger Stone said...

heavy Right hand sides...hurts.. B-(

***
Btw, congrats on completing 1 yr here, I remember I came here after Pallavi introduced you on her blog. :-)

4:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i waste a lot of food..but my friend taught me to eat better lately...we kinda balance each other..im thin..n shes fat :)
jo

4:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

right side of the menu isn't the right side, after all !

7:22 pm  
Blogger Chakra said...

Sushi rolls... i promised my wife to learn and make her one before she returns back from india later this month.. hmm... yet another promise.

10:47 pm  
Blogger Mint Chutney said...

I love sushi but it doesn't keep well for the next day as the rice dries out. That being said it's damn expensive so don't even think twice about taking it home.

11:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol !
yeah, I feel kinda stupid packing food from pricey restaurants tooo...but dammit we paid for every single morsel !!

:D

Happy blog birthday ( whenever it was ! )Here's to many more , cheers !

4:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a right to pack the leftovers even if it's from a 5-star hotel. SPECIALLY if it's from a 5-star hotel, that's MY munny they'll be throwing away.

3:32 pm  
Blogger AmitL said...

This is a 'lesson-filled post'.heh heh...why'd u kick a a dream job of slumping,eating,walking,coffee-ing,err, and Crosswording?:)Good luck at joining taekwondo.Lastly, what an absorbing meal description.:)Cheers...awaiting the next sushi,err,post.:)

3:35 pm  
Blogger Pranav said...

:-)
Tai chi, I think would be great for the hubby who seems to be living a high pressure life at the job...am planning to join it myself after these rains end.

Kick boxing is great for losing a lot of puppy fat:)

and damn...is there anything like vegetarian sushi?

3:40 pm  
Blogger Cee Kay said...

I agree! Ever since I started working, I have been more relaxed and rested :P When I found a full-time job, a few freinds commented "Now, you will be very busy". I tried to educate them but it was a wasted effort.

I went to a sushi place with my coworkers. Didn't enjoy it as I have never eaten fish (grew up as a vegetarian and just recently started eating chicken) and haven't developed a taste for it (yet). But I go out with my coworkers for the benefit of their company anyway, and not the food. They took me out for a welcome lunch to a seafood place and I ate only salad. And drank lots of wine!

2:41 am  
Blogger Pallavi said...

hahah nice to know that you are having "fun" . I dont think I am a sushi person... LOL... we never got the guts to the Jap place we have here... :)

Ahhh... and cheers to your burning calories.. :)

Rocky and myself have been planning to join Tai-Chi too.. . haha

2:43 pm  
Blogger Hornswoggler said...

oh I love packing leftover food. And having it for breakfast the next day

9:34 am  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

TaeKwon Do. It translates to "the way of the foot and fist." It's a bit rugged but I'm sure you could handle it, and would enjoy it. It's the Korean form of martial arts. Hope this helps.

I don't even like to LOOK at sushi, let alone eat it!

Good job working out at the gym ... I'm too lazy.

I'm so happy for you that you have this time to enjoy being at home; I feel the same way.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do - you're clever - I'm sure it will turn out just fine!

3:40 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

stone: Thank you :)

jo: Shame shame jo, wasting food. Do you want the lecture of the starving millions?

v: Yes, it does. Welcome.

chakra: Wow, you make sushi? Somehow I feel the ambience is another factor for eating these things.

mint: Learnt my lesson :)

ash: Thanks. I like to pack leftovers, especially if it's something I like.

kahini: Yes, right. I ll remember that.

amitL: Like I said, you cant take too much of a good thing. Life was kind of getting wasted so I quit.

pranav: So you are a vegetarian! I am sure there is a veg version. Yes, hubby too want to take up tai chi. He's looking for a place to go to this side of town.

gettingthere: If you have sea food sushi, you really have to like basic sea food! Try with the fried and grilled variety of sea food first. Then you can go to more bland versions.

pallavi: You guys join tai chi. Even miku is game for it. Then we ll became a team!

rash: Me too! But I hide it deep in the fridge when I rush to work in the morning so I could get to it in the night!

weary hag: Thank you. Taekwondo is popular in my part of the country but I never thought I would be asked to join one day! The gym is still on. I hope I last enough to lose some weight see the results!

namrata: I see you started blogging! Good good!

4:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home