Friday, January 30, 2009

The Colour Purple (apologies Alice Walker)

Today is my last day at work. It's a bright and beautiful day. I pulled out my new shirt saved for a special occasion. A gorgeous mix of purple and mauve, rich and striking in satin, it's a feel-good piece that does wonders for your mood and your day. It was from one of the shopping sprees alone where the shopping bags go straight to the cupboard and the ignorant hubby gets to see them only when worn.

As I get a couple of things ready for my trip to Delhi tomorrow, hubby shouts across. "I am going for a shower and then I am having my breakfast. I am not going to wait for you!"

"Ya ya, carry on." This is a normal scene in the household at mealtimes.
Next I am showered, dressed in my new gorgeous shirt, say a quick prayer and look for the husband. I await the reaction... admiration... accusation of shopping too much… or hurt at having not been shown it before. I form plausible answers in my mind. What is he going to say to this vision in purple!!

He as usual is playing the piano while waiting for me.
"Okay, I am ready and I am not waiting for you!" I announce.
"Oh, you didn't slice the strawberries for me!" he accuses me.

"You didn’t tell me. I'll do it now."

"No, no. I'll do it myself. If only you would pay some attention. You never hear what I say."

"Oh, stop cribbing. I am doing it now."

"No, you never hear. You are always too caught up with yourself."

"Oh really!!" I stand in front of him and smile.

"Yes, now when you’ll be in Delhi, away from me, take the time to think. Think how much you notice anything about your husband, remember anything I say..."

"Sure! Sure!"

We have our breakfast together talking about other things.

Then he gets back to work and I pick up my bag, keys, say bye and shut the door.

I am wondering if he'll ever notice even if I don't wear a shirt in front of him. Oh, that he will!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Hope you are doing well.If you are interested in making money through your blog by occasionally writing reviews of products and services please log onto http://www.createonlinebuzz.com/ and register as a blogger.

3:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn! I was beaten by some spammer!

I think both sexes have a very selective attention and remembering (which surely changes from case to case, but ...). And since we cannot remember what we never heard (and since men are worse at remembering instances where the better half didn't hear/remember, their defense is hopeless), it seems as if we actually hear everything, while the other hears nothing. Ain't that some insightful theory?

Last day? (see we listen/read).

Good to see you writing again.

9:42 pm  
Blogger Rahul said...

Married Life is weird......and specially when i hear the narrative from one of the married guys :)

1:41 pm  
Blogger Sangita S said...

I love the way u write,cld nt ever have wrote the last thought so flawlessly :-) Happy New Year Didnt know u had delhi connection as well

1:23 pm  
Blogger Sachin said...

Love the insights.....actually the worst is when my wife has had a haircut...and trust me, at least in my eyes (unless its a drastic change), girls' haircuts are pretty subtle in a guy's eye. So about 50% of the times I feel to notice it....Good post! Welcome to 2009

11:19 am  
Blogger Arunima said...

they become colorblind for sure after marriage. That much I can tell.

7:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home