Tuesday, February 24, 2009

waiting for the sun

Something tells me I am narrowing my world.

I have a new job. I love what is in store, I like the prospects of what I can do. There is so much to learn and so many new ways to do it. I am widening my mind to accommodate the changes and am welcoming the newness.

At the same time, I get the feeling of sitting in a castle and watching the world. I get up in the morning and get ready for work. I travel a bit everyday and look at the different lives lived. I watch the girl sitting pillion on a bike and reading her novel supporting it on the back of the rider. I leave office in the evening and watch the same scenes reversed. I pass a dance studio and look at it longingly, knowing I will stop in there once my plaster comes off. I come home and look at my shelf of books, lying unread. I go to sleep exhausted, barely getting past two pages of what I read.

I dream of going to places. I dream of walking for miles with the wind on my face. I dream of watching a sunrise from the highest point on the earth. I dream of riding the wildest horses over the mountains. I dream of showing a child the colours of the rainbow. I dream of helping an old man write a letter. I dream of listening to the melody of a peacefully running stream. I dream about sleeping under a blanket of stars. I dream of meeting friends, watching people and their lives. I dream of watching the world change and grow.

As I set out towards yet another glorious day, something tells me I am narrowing my world.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't even try to find words to express what I felt after reading this, because I know I cannot.

I'm just happy to see you writing more often. And if ever you doubted if quantity will affect the quality, I'm sure you won't now. We never did.

regards,
asuph

9:36 pm  
Blogger Stone said...

Beautiful!

10:45 pm  
Blogger Arunima said...

I so know the feeling. I am also in a new job with butterflies in the stomach.

The way you have written about the dreams is just so amazing. What matters is you have had time to bring it out.

Congratulations on the new job and to your friend who got engaged.

7:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe it is important to think/dream even before you can act.

I see so much hope and such beauty in thoughts...

8:53 am  
Blogger Mukta Raut said...

yours is the world and everything that's in it...

4:38 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

a postcard on my office desk says:

"You may win the rat race, but you are still a rat".

Let's hope we all can break out our scripted lives and do what the hear desires, sooner than imagined.

12:49 pm  
Blogger Anil P said...

I quite liked the "I dream of helping an old man write a letter", and somewhere it is all about sensitivity to another that gives one joy.

Difficult priorities it may seem, in Mumbai that is, but entirely achievable.

7:47 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

asuph: thanks for appreciating, always.

stone: thank you.

arunima: thanks, new job taking a toll with me reaching home later and later every night. how's yours going?

det-res: just hoping and dreaming without things actually happening can sometimes get frustrating... but yes, we live in hope.

mukta: i agree, my friend.

kapil: you give me such hope :)

anil: they are simple things, i dont know why i am dreaming about them.

4:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home