Thursday, June 04, 2009

a fool's paradise

Only fools quit their jobs and go holidaying in Greece. One day, it struck me that I shall be rushing to work every morning and coming back late every night and it will go on and on for years till I die. So I straightened my broken back and walked in to tell my gem-of-a-boss that I wished to leave. He gave me a world of options that I didn't deserve, to go on working. I was tempted but thinking again I realized it wouldn't be fair to look at options of working less when I still have so much to learn. So I did the unthinkable in these recessionary times.

Please refrain from thinking this time will be used only for leisures and pleasures. It'll also be devoted to strengthening the weak back, the one I cannot even sit straight with or stand or sleep. There is a constant pain that nags all the time. So I shall pay heed to "health is wealth" and concentrate on being ultra fit and able to run the marathon in Houston next year.

Till then I am off to explore a little corner of the world, Greece, with a few days in Turkey on my way back. Coming, anyone?

17 Comments:

Blogger Unmana said...

Wow, have fun! I'm taking a break from work too...

10:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good vibes your way, Anumita!

1:48 am  
Anonymous det-res said...

That sounds so good. Life is too short not to go to Greece.. I say!!!

4:05 am  
Blogger Bombay Addict said...

Congrats! Great decision, and I know how it feels because I did something similar about 2 years back. Didn't make it to Greece, but what the heck. Enjoy yourself!!

12:18 pm  
Blogger Kamala Aithal said...

I envy you!
just back from Turkey(only a short vacation). Let me know if you need any details.

8:03 pm  
Blogger Arunima said...

Can't say much. Only Scream out loud, I ENVY YOU lady.

Enjoy the break and take care of your back.

10:22 pm  
Blogger Sangita S said...

Wohoo I am soo jealous... enjoy the break

11:12 pm  
Blogger vivek said...

HAVE fun..Enjoy

1:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Envy, envy, and envy.

11:59 am  
Blogger Roy said...

oh my god! I am actually planning a similar thing for next year, saving up at the moment. but I was thinking like a one year trip of South America or East Europe!

check out www.vagabonding.com

2:16 pm  
Blogger RAHUL AITHAL said...

Let me know how it goes. I am planning a similar stint but don't have the guts to do it. Or just tell me how you got the idea i will worry about the guts part...

9:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only fools quit their jobs and go holidaying...is right :)
But I'm going to london...hehe
So sorry to hear about your back Anu...you take care, soak in the lovely sunshine in Greece!
Send me pics on dmihika@gmail.com ;)

Much love
Miko ...

4:32 pm  
Blogger AMIT said...

Very nice written about the Turkey.

Lingerie Bookmark

12:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my sabbatical year too..Been to Istanbul last year,,awesome place.
have fun..

7:59 pm  
Blogger Sonia said...

when you go to Turkey,make sure you go to Cappadocia!

7:52 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

Unmana: I know, I am reading your blog regularly.

Upsi: Thanks!

der-res: You bet :)

bombay addict: Thanks. I did.

Kay: Too late. I saw your message only after I got back. But I did have a good time. I have an encyclopedia who travels with me!

arunima: Am back and getting to the back now.

9:08 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

sangita, venkat, gaizabonts: i had a good time indeed.

roy: one year,wow! you rock man!

rahul aithal: ideas come all the time... either you go on developing them till they reach mammoth proportions or live them out :)

miko: long time! where have you disappeared?

lostonthestreet: i saw the pics on your blog and knew you had a swell time!

sonia: we were undecided about cappadocia due to the long journey and lack of time. the easy way was to fly but the fare was astronomical. hence finally visited meteora in greece and let go of cappadocia.
maybe later in the year when we go for a friend's wedding in bodrum.

3:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home