Thursday, May 14, 2009

Oh, to be old and happy!

It's a beautiful morning. As day breaks with bright orange and purple slivers bursting through and the sky takes on a magical form, I set out for the park. The roads look peaceful and the few early risers are walking unhurriedly.

It's good to see the increasing number of people getting health conscious and making an effort to begin their day with some exercise, with a little time to themselves. All kinds turn up, some in interesting gear. There are some who catch up and chat about everything under the sun.

I watch the group of 4 elderly men who come everyday and have a ball. One is missing, usually 5 come. They come together, walk together and chat and laugh loudly. Well deserved retired life. Suddenly, an elderly man, the missing 5th, catches up with them and greets them.

"Huh?" They all look at him in surprise. "Why are you greeting us?"

"Because I am meeting you." He proffers and laughs loudly.

"But we had come together from home!" One said.

"No, I didn't come with you all today. I was late. Didn't you even notice?" the gentleman is a little upset now.

"Well... yes... no..." there was a bit of awkwardness.

I passed them and jogged on. While the incident was really cute and funny with white haired grandpas wondering how to put things right, I wondered how it was so important to have friends at this age. Their life seemed perfect, at least their mornings. At the rate I am going, I'll have no friends. Well, none to walk with in the mornings, none to chat up at parks and worst of all, even if I managed some friends, I will probably forget them when we have a group walk or a movie to catch.

And then there will be many a jogger evesdropping on our little sulking arguments and making fun of it on their blogs!

5 Comments:

Blogger Prerona said...

maybe old is just a a state of mind?

4:12 pm  
Blogger Roy said...

metlife ad type moment!

4:48 pm  
Blogger vivek said...

"I'll have no friends", Why not Anumita? Too busy with life now?

1:52 am  
Blogger Arunima said...

you also come back and blog about them :-)

5:18 pm  
Blogger anumita said...

It is. But it also describes a state when we are no longer able to run as fast as we did.

roy: absolutely :)

venkat: Busy yes, so are my friends. Cant think of anyone among my current lot who will go for walks with me...

arunima: I know I will :)

12:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home