Friday, August 28, 2009

The lives of others

There is this strange connection that I have with people. The yearning to know, to meet or to avoid. I am most happy on my own. I could go on for days without meeting a single person or speaking to anyone and I get so used to it that I start enjoying it too much.

What I absolutely strive on and am unconsciously found to be indulging in is wondering about strangers lives. I am fascinated by homes. I love walking by lanes of residences in an almost hypnotised daze. I pass house after house, sometimes they are all part of a society and look the same. But not to me. Each house, each home speaks of the inhabitants.

Inhabitants who could be different from each other but form a closed unit. Couples that nobody knows better once they shut their front door. Things shared that only living together is privileged to.

Sometimes I get a glimpse of the insides and I see a beautiful story. In the nights, the lights at different windows fascinate me. Warm yellow lamps form shadows of mystery, bright white lights that promise to show much but doesn't. I feel happy and move on seeking more stories.

At home I just have to look out and I see different activities in the different apartments in the high rise across. The lights again influence my stories as I see a family at dinner or see a child watching a cartoon show with his mother. And then I look up and watch the night sky with a few scattered clouds and infinite mystery only to relive the same stories that I discovered as a 4 year old.

11 Comments:

Blogger Stone said...

hmmm truely... 'Har shaks ek kahani hai'

9:49 pm  
Blogger vivek said...

Anumita, you tell something about you in every post and I am smiling while reading this.

12:06 am  
Anonymous colours said...

You will love winter with darkness starting at 4:30 and people switching on the lights when they are more active.

I completely identify with you about a story in each apartment of the high rise buildings. The way they party also brings in the dimension on what sort of people they are...

12:26 pm  
Blogger Minal said...

I also do that- esp from trains - when it's passing a small town- but then, again am so not surprised after reading this. We do have some connect from our past life.

7:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stone: absolutely.

venkat: you are one of my oldest readers. you should know quite a bit by now:)

colours: in dibrugarh, where i grew up it gets dark and by 4pm in the cold winter. what i actually miss about the place is the sun being up at 4am in summers!
arent the stories fascinating?

minal: you bet, the train journeys are the best. i love the little towns and villages where a light teases you with a warm story which you will never know.

anumita

11:45 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm...u too?? sometimes i stare so much i feel like a vouyer!

bips

9:54 pm  
Blogger Gia Fernandes said...

It's nice to know I am not the only one. The lives of others are intriguing indeed. I loved the movie btw.
This post reminds me of something I had written a couple of weeks back.
Your blog has a sense of familiarity to it. Not sure if I have been here before, but I will come back again.

4:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I chanced upon ur blog while looking for info on flutivate cream. I think you have a very nice style of writing. You have a beautiful way with words...

11:00 am  
Anonymous Pallavi said...

Thats so you.. I can relate to the first para.. feel like that many a times.. and then BANG.. you are in the social fringe.. looking inside or looking outside

3:31 pm  
Blogger Bijoy said...

Dear Blogger,

We are a group of students from cochin who are currently building a web portal on kerala. in which we wish to include a kerala blog roll with links to blogs maintained by malayali's or blogs on kerala.

you could find our site here: http://enchantingkerala.org

the site is currently being constructed and will be finished by 1st of Oct 2009.

we wish to include your blog located here

http://anumita.blogspot.com/

we'll also have a feed fetcher which updates the recently updated blogs from among the listed blogs thus generating traffic to your recently posted entries.

If you are interested in listing your site in our blog roll; kindly include a link to our site in your blog in the prescribed format and send us a reply to enchantingkerala.org@gmail.com and we'll add your blog immediately. Ypu can add to our blog if you have more blog pls sent us the link of other blog we will add here

pls use the following format to link to us

Kerala

Write Back To me Over here bijoy20313@gmail.com

hoping to hear from you soon.

warm regards

Biby Cletus

12:21 am  
Blogger AMIT said...

Its great written.

Domain Registration India

1:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home